Monday, May 02, 2016

The Coast

One star after another appears and marks the end of another day and the start of another night. Where we are it is going to be a dark, quiet and very starry night. So many stars. But yet, still far away from a really dark night because we're too close to civilization and artificial light hides many of the stars that would be visible in absolute darkness.  

The ocean is getting quieter. As if it was preparing to go to sleep as well. I'm well aware that a day like today is not a usual day in this place. Weather on the Pacific Coast is unpredictable. Anything from bikini to down jacket weather. Even in the same month or week. But beautiful every time. I can understand how weeks and weeks of fog can cause depression. But at the same time, this coast is still this coast and the ocean still this beautiful beast and there's something to love and admire every single day. Life can't be bad here. It just can't. One look at the surf and you're cured of every bad thought that might have been bugging you. I don't know how people cannot be emotionally affected by this.


This morning I went for a run. I didn't feel like running and I had been lazy for weeks. But then I went. And I got hit by stunning views and my responding emotions. An indescribable happiness to be able to be right here at this very moment. Be able to witness how the morning mist covered the meadows and left moisture on the blindingly pink flowers that covered so much of the ground. Feel the morning sun on my skin that was busy burning away that morning mist and was just warm enough to not make me feel too hot on the run. No one I ran past or encountered looked angry or depressed. I saw only happy faces. And can still see the look on the face of the husky mix I met on the beach. He was just so happy to run along that beach and dip into the water. I knew exactly how he felt.

I wish it was possible to bottle up moments and views and smells like this for bad times. I'm always overwhelmed by the force of my feelings in situations and places like this and while my words can't even begin to describe what goes on in my heart and mind then it can at least provide a reminder for me to go back to this moment during times when I feel less fortunate. 

1 comment:

helen said...

I can almost feel the breeze. Wow, it's beautiful and can almost taste the air too. Miss you. btw, I moved to Seoul for a year or two.