Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Day 9 - Mad Max and Falls

After a not too quiet night in the Hatchet Resort in Grand Teton, thanks to a toilet pipe that made the wooden wall squeak every time someone used the bathroom, I got back on the road towards Twin Falls, Idaho. The Tetons were extra nice to me and appeared majestic in front of a perfect blue sky.

Surprisingly, they didn't look all that impressive from the other side. I was back in Idaho. This time a totally different Idaho. A huge plain with mountains on the horizon. I took the scenic route and drove by and almost around the Craters of the Moon national park. The ground covered with dark lava rocks and craters and small bushes. Going on for miles and miles and miles. 

I had become really hot so I opened every available zipper with the result that a few bugs crashed into my wrists. I'm used to them hitting my helmet and jacket and spreading their intestines all over the place when they explode. The big ones really hurt as if you got slingshot. But having them all over my skin made me wonder how those Harley riders can ride in t-shirts and some even without helmets. But I guess, once your skin has turned into leather thanks to years of tanning, you might not notice the yellow jackets anymore that are hitting your arms, chest, and forehead. Or maybe they just catch them with their teeth :-).

It went on like on the pictures above for a couple more hours until I reached Twin Falls. By then I was almost roasted and really tired. Nothing a cold shower and a nap couldn't fix. After that I got to see the name givers, the Twin Falls. 


Tomorrow's destination is Winnemucca, Nevada. According to the weather forecast no more roasting is to be expected. Yeah!

No comments: